Western Egg Sandwich w Spinach
This is one of our favorite egg sandwiches. Using a slightly drippy or jammy egg makes it taste all the better. But if you're watching fat content then well-cooked egg whites are also acceptable. If you are vegan or vegetarian using plant based eggs can be a great way to create a filling sandwich for breakfast.
Avg Cost Per Serving 2.83
Avg Recipe Cost 2.83
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Spinach Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Green pepper
- 1/4 Cup Onion
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Butter
- 1 Slice American Cheese
- 1 Sandwich Bun
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan.
- Add the peppers and onions, cook for 3 -4 minutes.
- Cook until all vegetables are translucent.
- Remove the vegetables to a bowl and set aside
- Toast your bun in either a toaster oven or oven at 400 F (Optional)
- Watch the bun carefully and remove when lightly browned
- Add the egg to the pan
- Flip the egg once it is stable, cook just a bit less than your desired done-ness
- Test for the desired doneness by pressing on the yolk to feel it. If it is very soft to the touch, you still have a very runny egg, this is not recommended. If your egg has a little firmness but still soft like a marshmallow you have a medium egg. That is how I did mine. If the egg has no softness and is firm, you have a hard egg.
- Add the cheese slice in the pan to the top of your cooked egg
- As the cheese is melting add the spinach to the pan but do not over cook it. You just want to wilt it.
- Place the spinach on top of the egg Carefully remove the cheesy, spinachy egg from the pan and add it to your toasted bun.
- Add the onions and peppers on top and the top of the bun
We used a Brioche roll however you could use wheat bread, an english muffin or a hamburger bun to further reduce your cost. V or Ve substitute vegan butter, cheese, and plant-based egg
Serving: 1gCalories: 388kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 16gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 190mgSodium: 754mgPotassium: 358mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 2044IUVitamin C: 37mgCalcium: 327mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!