Sausage Peppers and Onions
Slowly cooking the colorful peppers, onions, and garlic will make this dish even more flavorful. Grilling the sausage until it is fully cooked and a golden brown will add an additional layer of flavor. Or you can pan fry the sausages in slices and serve w/o the bun with a side salad for less carbs and more vegetables. Approximate cost per serving is 1.27 w/o the bun.
Avg Cost Per Serving $1.27
Avg Recipe Cost $5.81
- 2 Cutting Boards 1 for vegetables and 1 for sausage
- 1 Medium Bowl
- 1 Small Sharpe Knife
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Links Italian Sausage
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in the frying pan over medium low2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Slice the onion and peppers1 Green Bell Pepper, 1 Red Bell Pepper, 1 Large Onion
- Add the onions and peppers to the frying pan1 Green Bell Pepper, 1 Red Bell Pepper, 1 Large Onion
- Slow cook them in the frying pan until they are glistening
- Chop and add the garlic to the pan1 Clove Garlic
- Once the garlic is glistening remove all the vegetables from the pan and set aside
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the empty pan and turn the heat to medium
- Add the sausage links to the pan and cook until they reach a minimum of 160 degrees F.4 Links Italian Sausage
- If you want you can slice the sausages to serve w/o a bun
- Confirm the temperature with your thermometer to make sure it is above 165 degrees F1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Add the vegetables back into the pan
- You can finish the dish by adding the balsamic vinegar and cooking for 3-5 minutes more
- You may serve the sliced sausage dish with a side salad, or if you want to take this dish to work add a mason jar salad
Use hot or sweet sausage Other colors of peppers are optional The above nutrients are calculated without the bun. If you add the bun you will need to calculate an additional 145 calories. If you are looking to cut some additional fat and calories substitute the pork sausages for an Italian chicken sausage. You may be able to justify having that bun after all According to nutriionix.com the following is the nutritional breakdown on the chicken sausage link.
- link (75g )
- Calories from Fat 70. Calories 147.
- 12% Total Fat 7.8g.
- 9% Saturated Fat 1.7g.
- 23% Cholesterol 69mg.
- 21% Sodium 499mg.
- 6% Potassium 224mg.
- 0% Total Carbohydrates 0g.
Serving: 1gCalories: 480kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 17gFat: 42gSaturated Fat: 14gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 823mgPotassium: 446mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1042IUVitamin C: 66mgCalcium: 34mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!