Turkey Shepherds Pie w/Sweet Potato
We discovered this healthier version of shepherds pie and never looked back. It is a hearty dish that can be made up ahead of time and baked in the oven later that evening. You can even reheat the leftovers in the microwave.
Avg Cost Per Serving $2.79
Avg Recipe Cost $11.18
- 1 Baking Dish or Casserole Dish
- 2 Sweet Potatoes Large
- 1/8 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 Cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1.5 Lbs Ground Turkey
- 1 Cups Green pepper
- 1 Onion
- 1 Cans French Style Green Beans
- 3 Ounces Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Garlic
- 1 Tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 4 Ounces Water
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 2 inch cubes
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water
- Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Place the pot over low heat add brown sugar butter and salt.
- Mash the potatoes so that they are nearly smooth and the butter and sugar are mixed in. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan on medium heat and once warm add the onions, peppers and salt
- Cook until glistening then add the garlic
- Cook until you smell the garlic (approx 1 minute) then push all the ingredients to the side of the pan or remove them from the heat and add in the turkey.
- Add in the dry ingredients
- Brown the turkey and dry ingredients together
- Once browned add in the tomato paste and the water
- Let cook until it reduces into a thicker sauce consistency
- Add the turkey mixture to a casserole dish or a aluminum foil baking pan
- Layer the green beans on top
- Layer the mashed sweet potato on the very top
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese
- Bake for 1 hour
You can substitute spinach for the green beans Add mushrooms for extra flavor Serve with a little hot sauce if you want to spice it up
Calories: 484kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 47gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 1068mgPotassium: 1400mgFiber: 8gSugar: 18gVitamin A: 17406IUVitamin C: 50mgCalcium: 175mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!