Tofu Tikka Masala - Vegan
Tikka Masala is everyones favorite we thought why not just make it with tofu? This Indian inspired dish is tasty, and filling. Turn up the spice or tone it down depending on you palate.
Avg Cost Per Serving $1.54
Avg Recipe Cost $4.62
- 2 Frying Pans
- 16 oz Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tsp Olive Oil
- 28 Ounces Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Root
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 3/4 Tsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Cup Spinach Leaves
- Salt to taste
- For the marinade combine: The vegan yogurt, with 1/2 tsp of ginger, the 1/2 tsp of garlic. 1/4 tsp of chili powder, and 1 tsp of garam masala. Set aside.
- Cube the tofu into small bite-sized pieces
- Next make the Tikka Masala sauce
- Rough chop the onion
- Peel the ginger root
- Mince the ginger
- Peel and mince the garlic
- Heat a saute' pan to medium high heat
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil reserving the other tsp, you may also need an additional splash of olive oil depending on the size of your pan and your onion
- Add the onions and ginger until they turn translucent
- Add the garlic
- Move everything off to the edges of the pan and add the cumin seeds and cook until you smell them
- Add the tsp of garam masala, the 1/2 tsp of chili powder, and the 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- Add the tomatoes
- Cook for 10 minutes and then set aside to cook slightly to a warm temp
- Heat another saute' pan, add 2 tsp of olive oil
- Add the tofu cubes and sprinkle with a dusting of chili powder (This helps them to brown) You may also roast them in the oven or toaster oven if you prefer
- Once the tofu is browned, remove it as you do not want to over cook it.
- Run the warm sauce mixture that through the food processor or use an immersion blender.
- Once the sauce is to your preferred consistency, add it to the saute' pan
- Taste, add salt and additional levels of spice that you prefer for heat or flavor here
- Add the cup of fresh spinach and let it wilt in the sauce
- Add the toasted tofu to the sauce and cook it together.
With this dish you can make the gravy while the tofu is marinating in the refrigerator to save time
Calories: 251kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 17gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 235mgPotassium: 803mgFiber: 6gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 3300IUVitamin C: 43mgCalcium: 251mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!