Mediterranean Chicken Meatball Recipe
These are called Kafta or Kofta depending where in the Mediterranean you are. They are usually shaped more like a sausages or little footballs. We are putting our own spin on them and making them into round meatballs. These can be served with Tzatziki or Hummus or with a Greek Salad and, or some grains. The Lebanese 7 spice make these taste amazing and so different from a traditional Italian meatball. We even freeze them for meals on nights that we won't have time to make them. They freeze quite well.
Avg Cost Per Serving 1.11
Avg Recipe Cost $4.46
- 1/2 Lb Ground Chicken
- 2 Tbsp Parsley
- 1 Tbsp 7 Spice Ground Cinnamon, Allspice, Coriander, Allspice, Nutmeg, Cumin and Black Pepper
- 1/4 Onion
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Mint
- 1 Pinch Red Pepper Flake
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Place a cooling rack directly on a baking sheet
- Place the onion in the food processor
- Add the parsley
- Add the mint
- Add the red pepper flake
- Add the 7 spice and salt
- Pulse until everything is chopped and incorporated
- Add the ground chicken
- Add the egg
- Pulse until mixed, do not over process
- Add 1/4 of the bread crumb and test the stickiness of the mixture. If it is too sticky to roll, add the other 1/4 of the bread crumbs
- Remove the blade from the food processor and scoop one small handful at a time, roll the meat into balls by cupping the meat and moving both hand in opposite directions over the meat.
- Place each ball approximately an inch apart to allow air to circulate around the entire surface.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes depending on the size of your balls. Internal temperature must reach 165 degrees F for the balls to be cooked properly.
- Remove from the oven and place on your serving tray or plates
We served these with homemade hummus and pita. These would be good with Tzatziki sauce or a Greek salad. If freezing place cooked and cooled meatballs on a sheet pan and freeze. You can then add the individual balls to a large bag or freeze in individual containers with other freezable prepped items. We froze a pepper salad the meals and it was a great addition.
Calories: 160kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 13gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.04gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 462mgPotassium: 405mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 1034IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 51mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!