Rich chick pea flavor, with sesame tahini, garlic, lemon all combined in a fluffy dip. This can be served as a healthy appetizer. party food, side dish, or even in a pita sandwich.
Avg Cost Per Serving .66
Avg Recipe Cost 3.25
- 15 Oz Chickpeas
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 4 Tbsp Tahini
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Ice Water
- Place the canned chickpeas in a medium saucepan and add the baking soda. Cover the chickpeas with water, then bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. (watch them as they can boil over easily)
- Boil for 20 minutes, until chick peas are soft and the shells are detaching
- Drain and rinse in a mesh strainer (You want to rinse off the baking soda) Leave discarded shells in the strainer when possible. You will always have some shells in the recipe this can not be avoided.
- In the food processor combine the tahini and lemon juice
- Add in the water, garlic, salt, and cumin and pulse until the garlic is minced
- Add in the chick peas and olive oil and mix. (Depending on the consistency, you may need to add in a tablespoon or more of ice water. Don't worry you have lots of flavor already.
- Serve with some olives on top, a splash of olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt. Garnish is optional and not included in the calorie count.
So simple to make and budget friendly. Next time you are asked to bring an appetizer make this healthy hummus! You can add additional garlic for those who love it or add in some other favorite flavors.
Calories: 259kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 8gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gSodium: 295mgPotassium: 270mgFiber: 6gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 29IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 53mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!