Homemade Hummus Sandwich
Hummus sandwiches are one of our favorites. When the hummus is homemade and the bread is fresh it's even better. This chick pea dip makes a healthy stuffing for pita or lavash bread. At approximately $1.25 per sandwich and under 500 calories this makes homemade hummus for lunch a no brainer.
Avg Cost Per Serving $1.25
Avg Recipe Cost $7.50
- 15 Oz Chickpeas
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Lemon
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 4 Tbsp Tahini
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Ice Water
- 6 Pita bread
- Place the canned chickpeas in a medium saucepan and add the baking soda. Cover the chickpeas with water, then bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. (watch them as they can boil over easily)15 Oz Chickpeas, 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- Boil for 20 minutes, until chick peas are soft and the shells are detaching
- Drain and rinse in a mesh strainer (You want to rinse off the baking soda) Leave discarded shells in the strainer when possible. You will always have some shells in the recipe this can not be avoided.
- In the food processor combine the tahini and lemon juice4 Tbsp Tahini, 1 Lemon
- Add in the water, garlic, salt, and cumin and pulse until the garlic is minced2 Cloves Garlic, 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin, 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt, 1/4 Cup Ice Water
- Add in the chick peas and olive oil and mix. (Depending on the consistency, you may need to add in a tablespoon or more of ice water. Don't worry you have lots of flavor already.15 Oz Chickpeas, 1/4 Cup Olive Oil, 1/4 Cup Ice Water
- Cut your pita pocket in half and carefully open it6 Pita bread
- Add in the hummus along with any other fresh ingredients such as lettuce, olives, Peppers
Serving: 1PitaCalories: 416kcalCarbohydrates: 55gProtein: 13gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gSodium: 595mgPotassium: 351mgFiber: 8gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 32IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 106mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!